Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Jordan Brothers, Stout-Hearted Men



 When I was a child, Gloria, my mother, would sing to me and tell stories of my grandfather Jim Jordan, a pro boxer, and his six brothers. Born “Giordano” in the impoverished Mezzogiorno region of Italy, these were big, burly men, lumberjacks, (the reason why as a 6’ 1” and 190 lb. teenager, I towered over the Italian shrimps in my neighborhood).
The Giordanos had a rambunctious, expansive sense of themselves, long since diluted in me and my Americanized cousins. They’d arrived , flat-broke, in South Brooklyn on the Gowanus Canal at the turn of the century. Within 10 years, two had joined the NYPD and were Mayor Fioriello Laguardia’s personal bodyguards Two others strongmen and pro wrestlers who toured the ethnic enclaves of the East Coast and Midwest as the mad Russian and a bone-breaking Sicilian, a ruse that came to a bad end when from the mat, the “Russian” whispered to his brother in Sicilian, “Shithead, you’re hurting me!” Real Sicilians were in the front row.
My grandfather, insanely jealous, but otherwise righteous, is remembered for dangling a man over the rail of the Gowanus. The guy had dared tip his cap and say, “Buongiorno’ to my grandmother, Clementina.
When Gloria told me the 10-year-old me, her uncle Frank Jordan and the brothers organized their own annual, costumed Thanksgiving Parade and rode through the cobblestone streets of South Brooklyn—now overrun by an infestation of fedora-wearing hipster ass-wipes—on horseback, I balked. I admit I did.
All these years later, my cousin Lorraine (Giordano) Garrison comes up with a photo from the 1922 Brooklyn Standard newspaper. It’s all true and all these folks are long gone, their lives and stories unremarked, but sometimes when I return to Carroll Street and stare over the turgid, toxic green waters of the Gowanus, I remember a line from the odd lullaby my mother used to sing: “Give me some men who are stout-hearted men…” And I see my grandfather, bull-necked big-nosed, muscles rippling, holding a guy over the canal, I know exactly who that person would be.



The Seven Giordano Brothers:




12 comments:

  1. Hello, My grandfather was John Jordan one of the seven brother's. My mother's name was Josephine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Connie. Great to meet you. My grandfather was Jim Jordan; second row, second from the left (I think) Which is John and how did he grow up after leaving Carroll Street. So your mom as John's daughter? My mother, Gloria, was Jim's daughter. Where did your grow up? This blog is what Carroll Street was like after you guys moved out. See Losing Mom story. Love to talk more. Vincent

      Delete
    2. Connie, if any of this info is wrong, please let me know so I can fix and add the correct info. These are stories I heart 5o years ago when I was a boy. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Hi Vincent, My grandfather is on the top row all the way to the right. I will have to check my sister Carmela and older brother Matt to see if they remember anything on what happened after leaving Carroll Street. Me and my younger brother grew up in Long Island. My mom would occasionally tell us about the family. I am very interested in learning about what they have done in their lives. I will get back to as soon as possible with any information. Now and then I speak with a woman named Francis, who is my mother's cousin. My mom's name was Josephine. Her other sisters were, Rita, Catherine, Gloria, Phyllis. Brother's were, Tony,John,Frank and I know there are two more. I just a senior moment. I'll ask my sister if she knows. I'll get back to you. Nice talking to you. I'll get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vincent, Trying to send you to photos. One is of my grandfather John and his second wife "Jenny" real name Concetta. My namesake. It was an arranged marriage. My grandfather was 28 in this picture and my grandmother was I believe 18. She did not want to marry him. His first wife was named Josephine. She passed away. My grandfather had a son whose name was Sal. My grandmother Jenny took him in and raised him as her own. Having g a hard time figuring out how to post the photos.

      Delete
  3. I have an article that was published in the daily mirror. The article was about the seven brothers. I'm looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email address is vincentcoppola@bellsouth.net
      Should you like to send photos. My cousin Lorraine has quite a collection. Her mother was Rose Dolly Giordano. She's on facebook Lorraine Garrison

      Delete
  4. My great grandfather was Jimmy Giordano, Clementina's husband. I just love reading all of these stories! I'd love to see any photos Connie might have had! Thankfully I stumbled upon Lorraine though the Find-a-grave website and she let me know to look for you, Vincent :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole Jordan BinderAugust 17, 2018 at 5:09 PM

    My Great Grandfather was Louis Giordano. He is on the far right in the photo. My Grandmother Anna Jordan Levy was his oldest child, one of 11, 8 girls and 3 boys. Her son, my father is Harry Jordan. I have many photos I can share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to meet you. Jim Giordano was my mother's father. I lived on Carroll by the canal until I was 28 years old.

      Delete
  6. Louis is my great-grandfather as well. His 4th-eldest child, Marie ("Mary") Jordan Torrillo was my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to meet you Craig. see above for my Giordano roots.

    ReplyDelete